Deutsche Lufthansa AG, commonly known as LUFTHANSA, is Germany’s flag carrier and largest airline. The company’s name is derived from the German word Luft meaning “air” and Hansa for Hanseatic League. LUFTHANSA is one of the five founding members of the Star Alliance, the world’s largest airline alliance, founded in 1997.
Rights in the event of a delayed/cancelled flight
– You are entitled to compensation after 3 or more hours of delay or if your flight is cancelled
– Compensation ranges from €250 to €600
– After a delay of 2 hours LUFTHANSA should provide you with food and drink
– If your flight is delayed overnight, LUFTHANSA is obliged to provide hotel accommodation
The first steps towards compensation
– Ask the airline to inform you of the cause of the delay when you are at the airport
– Collect relevant documents such as receipts and vouchers for expenses incurred by the delay
– Use our application in the “GET COMPENSATION” section to claim compensation
Compensation for flight delays operated by LUFTHANSA
Under European Regulation 261/2004 and the Montreal Convention, compensation for delayed flights is calculated on the basis of the distance of the flight. All flights that are delayed for at least 3 hours and qualify under the legal regulations are entitled to full compensation. – Short-haul flight delays – up to 1500 km – LUFTHANSA owes compensation of EUR 250 – Medium-haul flight delays – between 1500 km and 3500 km – LUFTHANSA owes compensation of EUR 400
– Long-haul flight delays – over 3500 km – LUFTHANSA owes compensation of EUR 600 Airport rights provided by LUFTHANSA
– Short distance – up to 1500 km: delayed departure over 2 hours – free food and drinks and 2 phone calls, e-mails or faxes
– Medium distance – between 1500 and 3500 km: delayed departure over 3 hours – free food and drinks, and 2 phone calls, e-mails or faxes
– Long distance – over 3500 km: delayed departure over 4 hours – free food and drinks and 2 phone calls, e-mails or faxes
|Short distance up to 1500 km||Average distance up to 3500 km||Distance longer than 3500 km|
|Bucharest- Wien||Bucharest- Rome||Bucharest- Montreal|
|250 €||400€||600 €|
If the flight operated by LUFTHANSA is delayed for more than 5 hours
If your flight is delayed for more than 5 hours, you can cancel your flight and LUFTHANSA will be obliged to refund your ticket price. Alternatively, you have the right to ask the airline to organise the fastest possible alternative form of transport. LUFTHANSA can also transfer you back to your original point of departure, for example, if you have missed a business meeting due to a missed connecting flight, you have the right to obtain a transfer back to your original point of departure.
If the flight operated by LUFTHANSA is delayed until the next day
If your departure is delayed until the next day, you can benefit from one night’s accommodation and return transport from the airport. Airlines usually organise overnight stays and transfers and inform you of planned arrangements. Before you decide to book anything, it is always best to check directly with LUFTHANSA.
The first thing to do is to have confirmation that you are truly eligible for compensation. This is not a simple process: getting access to flight databases, comparing your situation with other similar cases, checking whether European Regulation 261/2004 or other international regulations applicable to air transport apply to you. In fact, for a person without aviation expertise and the necessary technological means, this can prove to be very complicated.
However, the simple alternative is to claim compensation with DELAY.AERO. To do this, simply enter your flight details into the “GET COMPENSATION” application on our website for free. The DELAY.AERO team will check the details entered and determine whether you are entitled to make a claim against the airline. From then on, DELAY.AERO takes over the case and you are notified when the airline grants you compensation. The DELAY.AERO tool analyses hundreds of thousands of flights, has access to a wealth of weather data and is able to check whether your claim can be settled under EU law or other legal provisions applicable to your case.
Your application will be checked for eligibility free of charge
Our network of experts and our experience in the aviation sector, as well as the partnerships we have, allow us to negotiate with airlines on an equal footing. In 98% of open cases, our clients have won the case and received compensation/refunds. Regardless of the outcome, we take all the financial risk. If we are unsuccessful in your case, for whatever reason, we alone bear the costs. When we win, we receive a service fee according to the Price List from the amount recovered.
This protects you, the client, from any lost expenses and investment.